Solved

App/Software Approval

Badge

Does anyone have any tips on setting up software/app approval process via IIQ? I can’t quite figure out where it would best fit. Looking for anyone else who has done this successfully.

icon

Best answer by Jessica Adkins 1 November 2022, 21:02

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@NatMonsaasDaly Thank you for submitting your question. Currently, the process is to submit the App you are wanting to integrate with is to add it into our Idea Exchange. Once you do that, the community will vote and comment on the idea. 

Here is the link to submit that: https://community.incidentiq.com/ideas

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

@NatMonsaasDaly Are you asking how to best support an approval process from members within your district? We could use rules to set something up to creatively go to different stakeholders for approval. Let me know!

Badge

Sorry...I should have been more clear. I am looking for  a process for staff to request apps/software to be added to our district approved list. I’m just curious what workflows others may have built to make this happen.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@NatMonsaasDaly - We ended up building a custom application for this process in our district.  When a user submits a software it goes to our Teaching and Learning Department first to get approval and then it comes to IT and each Manager in IT has to sign off of before it gets the final approval.  If you’d like to see the questions we ask or any other information just let me know.  Below is a link to main screen but you will only be able to view.

https://apps.muscogee.k12.ga.us/softwarecatalog

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

@NatMonsaasDaly  @mcsdwes 

That’s exactly what I was thinking. You can use a “when created” rule to assign the request to an initial approver. You can then leverage custom resolution actions (like approved or denied) + when updated rule to route the request to another approver until it can be officially approved. You can also leverage custom fields to force the requestor to answer specific questions about the software use case, etc!

Let me know if you want to hop on a call to discuss set up!

Badge

@mcsdwes I would love to see the questions! Let me know the best way to connect. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@NatMonsaasDaly - Let me know if this screenshot works for you.

Badge

@mcsdwes This is great. Thank you! What does your workflow look like for approval? Does it go through specific groups of people for approval or is one person responsible?

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@NatMonsaasDaly - so once it gets submitted it goes to one person in our Teaching and Learning department who discusses with the current staff on that team.  Once they approve in the app then it sends it to all 6 IT Managers at the same time so they can provide their approval and comments.  Then the final approval is our Senior Directors of IT.  Below is what the end user sees.

Here is the backend view that all the approvers see which you can really see how the workflow approval works and looks like.

Badge

@mcsdwes This is exactly what I needed to see. Pardon all the questions, but how did you do the vote option? I’m still learning how to setup all the rules and workflows, but this would really help us out.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@NatMonsaasDaly - This is a custom application that we developed outside of IIQ for this particular process.  We do not use IIQ in any way shape or form to create what I showed you.  Although you may be able to create something similar to this in IIQ it would work and function totally different than the custom app that we developed to meet our needs.  Since our district is lucky enough to have a full development team we prefer to create custom apps to meet our needs if they cannot be fully met in our third party apps like IIQ.  Hopefully our process and workflow will help you come up with ideas that you may can implement in whatever process you come up with for your district.

Badge

@mcsdwes A great feature request for IIQ! It honestly looks like exactly what we were hoping for. Thanks again for taking some time to share your process. It really helps as we are working through this.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@NatMonsaasDaly - Your welcome and hopefully some of the IIQ Devs will see this request as I would think this would be a common need for all school districts and could be developed with alot of the current features that are already present in IIQ.  Best of luck with your creation and process!!

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Great news, @NatMonsaasDaly! We have a new Enhanced Approval Workflow premium app that allows users without admin permission to be set as approvers. Check it out here: