Solved

New Student Notification

Userlevel 2
Badge

Is there a way to have a notification email sent and ticket created when a new student is synced over from our SIS? I have looked at the rules but I am not sure what is needed. I see the active under user status, but only want on “new” active users. 

We need this to know when a new student enrolls so we can assign a device to the student.

icon

Best answer by cris.ward 2 February 2023, 20:24

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@BLG6 Thank you for submitting your question!

Currently, we have a system for onboarding new employees but not an automatic way to get a student onboarded. 

Anyone in the community have a work around for this? @TAnders @davecarty @mcarrigan 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

We have several email to ticket paths set up in IIQ.  We use our SIS (Infinite Campus) as the source of all student and staff account creation, so when a new student enrolls or a new staff member is added to Campus, Campus sends an email to IIQ to create a ticket.  (That’s the first rule that is triggered - the one to create the parent ticket from the email) Once the parent ticket is created, then the “when created” rules are triggered to create sub tickets (e.g. for students to enroll a device to them, for staff to enroll devices, assign badge access, assign a phone extension).

Let me know if any of that needs clarification - it’s a real time saver.  The only thing that doesn’t work is that the agents working these sub ticket still have to look at the parent ticket for details.  That’s because the ticket is created from email and the body of the email with the person’s information cannot be mapped to the sub tickets like we now can map custom fields to sub tickets from a user created parent ticket.

Edit to clarify that we do this email to ticket process when a student enrollment is entered into Campus or when a staff user is added to Campus and not when the sync with Campus-IIQ happens.  

Badge

Maureen, Are you saying that the person who enters the student/staff in SIS, emails iiQ to start the ticket creation process ?

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

The email is not manually created by a person.  It is automatically created by Campus when a staff member or student  is added. The email for staff has their name, start date, username, role, department, and location in the body but we cannot parse through the ticket body to map that information to sub tickets.

Userlevel 2
Badge

mcarrigan

We use Infinite Campus also and I am very interested in how you have IC setup to create an email when a new staff or student is added. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

We use Skyward and setup a rule to automatically create a ticket from the email that is generated so we get tickets when a student enrolls or withdraws. We did have to create MANY rules to make this happen as we have 5 schools and had to do an enroll and a withdraw for each one.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I was able to achieve this using rules. You can set an email rule or ticket creation rule to create a ticket or email based off user information. So we are using Active Directory to put users in IQ. My rule says when a user account is created create a ticket and assign to tech based off location information in the users profile. I also have it do the same thing when users go inactive and create tickets that say they leave. If you would like to see an example let me know.

I have also done this with email to tickets as well if you need any of that stuff in an example.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

One possibility, once the new user is imported in iiQ you could use the “When Created” option under user rules, and put in a filter specifically for the student role, and the action be to send an email. Not sure what your provisioning looks like in iiQ, but for us this instance would only be about a 1 day difference between the student being added to Infinite Campus and them being created in iiQ.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I was able to achieve this using rules. You can set an email rule or ticket creation rule to create a ticket or email based off user information. So we are using Active Directory to put users in IQ. My rule says when a user account is created create a ticket and assign to tech based off location information in the users profile. I also have it do the same thing when users go inactive and create tickets that say they leave. If you would like to see an example let me know.

I have also done this with email to tickets as well if you need any of that stuff in an example.

If you don’t mind, could you share your rule(s)?

Userlevel 2
Badge

One possibility, once the new user is imported in iiQ you could use the “When Created” option under user rules, and put in a filter specifically for the student role, and the action be to send an email. Not sure what your provisioning looks like in iiQ, but for us this instance would only be about a 1 day difference between the student being added to Infinite Campus and them being created in iiQ.

That is a good idea also. Thank you

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

That is a good idea also. Thank you

No problem! I think @cris.ward and I were typing basically the same idea at the same time haha!

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

If you don’t mind, could you share your rule(s)?

So this rule is for new students. When a user is created in Active Directory, it checks to see if the role is student and not a member of our preschool since they have no devices. If it meets the criteria, it creates a ticket based on the New Student Device Ticket Template shown below. Just make sure to add all locations on the drop down for the template.

For users leaving we did the same thing but have a template for users leaving and the role is changed to no access along with having a device. We did not want tickets created if users didn't have any assets assigned. I also created a few other filters with it but those can be ignored. :)

Let me know if you want to see the email to tickets rules. Hope this helps!

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thank you @cris.ward

Does the ticket show who the student is, grade level, etc.?