Solved

Room Audits

Badge

What is the best way to room audit in the summer? Ideally, we’d be able to “go into a room” to see all devices that are assigned in that room. I see there’s some ideas floating out here to click on a map and see nested assets within a room. We’ve created views before, but that gets extremely messy.

Is there an ideal workflow currently, or just scanning?  

icon

Best answer by TDeering 407bd83 chsd155 9 May 2024, 21:26

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 2

As part of our yearly audit, we go room to room scanning all of the assets, change their statuses and assigned room en masse, and then mark them as verified. Once that is complete, we then review an asset view set up to identify all unverified assets assigned to a room and troubleshoot.

Having this view available lets us better see patterns and, when appropriate, treat unverified assets en masse. For example, we may come across assets from a lab that were replaced and be able to use the view to select all of those unverified assets and adjust them at once.

With that said, I am hoping for the interactive map to have the ability to show all assets assigned to the room if we click on the room tagged on the map. Not necessarily asking to have the assets “mapped”, I am more asking for the option to have the assets for that room show up in a table similar to what we might see if we set up a view for that room. As a bonus, it would be great if that could then be used to pin the assets onto the map.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@MSmith 51710f5 amherstk12 Thank you for submitting your question to our community! 😄

This is an important topic, especially as the end of the year is approaching. 

Here are some guides and conversations to check out: 

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

As part of our yearly audit, we go room to room scanning all of the assets, change their statuses and assigned room en masse, and then mark them as verified.

Hey, when you say that you’re going room to room scanning all of the assets, what are you scanning them into? Incident IQ or a spreadsheet? And you mentioned that you “change their statuses and assigned rooms en masse” — how are you doing this exactly?

Just trying to get ideas. Thanks.

Userlevel 2

As part of our yearly audit, we go room to room scanning all of the assets, change their statuses and assigned room en masse, and then mark them as verified.

Hey, when you say that you’re going room to room scanning all of the assets, what are you scanning them into? Incident IQ or a spreadsheet? And you mentioned that you “change their statuses and assigned rooms en masse” — how are you doing this exactly?

Just trying to get ideas. Thanks.

We use the rapid scan feature in IIQ. One method to trigger rapid scan (the non-mobile version), is to open up the global search on the dashboard, scan an asset ID, and then click on “Assets” (see below). I think the trigger for the rapid scan was different prior to the global search feature roll out.

From there, scan the device again. You should see a screen like this.

Once you see this, start scanning in the assets for the room. If there are assets that can’t be scanned, you can enter in their ID instead. Since we usually use a phone to capture those, we will be trying out the mobile version for the rapid scan feature this summer. Once they are all scanned, you can select them all or just some of the assets to complete actions in bulk. 

We use this to verify assets, update pools, and update inventories.

While there is also a way to mass insert scanned assets into a view from a spreadsheet and conduct mass actions from the view, scanning assets directly into IIQ is recommended given that it takes less steps. I only mention this other option as there have been times when I have found it to be useful outside of summer inventory work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@TDeering 407bd83 chsd155 Thank you for adding so much context to this thread! This is great! 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Yes, but shouldn’t the new Places/Location/Maps section auto-populate with the Assets that are already assigned to that room/site in IncidentIQ’s Inventory? Isn’t that the whole point of adding this Places Explorer? The data is already in IncidentIQ, it’s not in graphical form, but that shouldn’t matter. Why can’t IIQ create a link between these 2 sections so that the existing location data for Assets can be sorted and  then pushed/viewed into the appropriate location(s) in the new Places section? That is a room audit, without the physical hands on scanning of course.

Honestly, we looked at this new Places feature recently and felt that while it was an exciting add-on, it looks like a framework- its ‘build’ only half-completed. I clicked into a School and then a Room expecting to see an Asset list. Instead there were a lot of empty text fields about the details of the actual room. We don’t need a photo of the room (or the seating capacity or the square footage), first and foremost we need to know what equipment is assigned to it. In a list.

We the clients should not be expected/required to re-enter inventory data that already exists inside IIQ’s software. What we would like to see in a Room Audit, is the ability to click on a Location [site & room] in this new section and get an on-screen list of the Assets assigned to that Location, with their Statuses displayed as well. This is a directly equivalent task to the existing one for a User’s inventory: clicking on a User to get an on-screen list displayed of that User’s assigned Assets and their Statuses. It’s the same routine, just applied to a Location instead of a User. This is how it should be done. You always have the option of scanning each bar coded device physically to do a room audit, but you should not be required to do it this way.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@BFB Thank you for your feedback. I will pass this along to our team. 

Userlevel 2

@BFB 

I would love to see that enhancement made to the new interactive map feature as well and would suggest adding that to the idea exchange. I will certainly upvote it and from my experience with IIQ, have no doubt that they are working to continually improve their product. If that ability becomes available, I’d love to also be able to perform bulk actions on selected assets that are found on the map. Maybe even be able to select multiple assets pinned to a map, similar to how we can select multiple in a view by checking a box, and then perform bulk actions that way as well.

Per the perception that IIQ is forcing us to re-enter in data to their platform, I apologize if my information gave that impression. We have a completely optional audit policy set up in IIQ that marks our assets as failed if they have not been verified within a year. This is a powerful tool for us to keep up to date on what assets we have in the building and what has gone missing or been moved. We only change statuses or assign rooms in bulk during this process to catch any instances were the data for the asset is incorrect because the asset information has changed since the rooms were last inventoried. All a part of our initiative to better align with CIS security controls (Inventory and Control of Enterprise Assets) and keep our tech infrastructure up to date.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I took @TDeering’s advice and added this to the Idea Exchange- it was similar to 2 other posts that were merged by IIQ so I added mine which was a little different. If you’d like to upvote for this type of Room Audit, go here: https://community.incidentiq.com/ideas/location-explorer-2053