Question

Tracking how many devices a student has been assigned

• 23 February 2024
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

We would like to run a report on students showing how many devices each student has been assigned throughout the year. I know that while looking at a user profile we can see device history but its such a pain to go through every student you suspect as having been through too many devices. When assigning new devices and replacement devices we should be checking, but it often gets missed by library staff and new hires.

Is there a way to run a report that will generate this information for us? Bonus points if we can also see how many devices we assigned as just replacements. (Excluding first assigned device).

7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

@Zane Groven - I agree, it would be really helpful to be able to obtain reports on how many or which devices students and/or staff have had throughout the year. Since historical or previous data can be relevant for future purposes, one workaround I found, is that I set calendar reminders to pull data exports about 4 times per year. In this way I can see which devices were assigned to whom at different points during the year (This has also helped significantly when being audited or asked for certain reports from a specific point in time). 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I can see that being very useful! We’ve got a few stinkers that will throw that time frame out the window unfortunately, and manually running and compiling the reports is a little too much work for what we have going on right now, but still, good for broad spectrum use.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Zane Groven Thank you for submitting your question to our community! 😄 This is a use case we hear frequently. There are various ideas in our Idea Exchange. 

The most common workflow is using a custom field to track the number of devices given. 

Thanks @Erica for adding your feedback. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I like that there is something here that gets me part of the way there, but that report, from what I can tell, pulls everything that's been assigned throughout the year, I’m only interested in duplicate users. I just need a clear and concise report to give to our board and other management that shows our worst offenders so when they ask why we’re not giving them another computer we can point to this and show why. Right now, the current method still requires us to comb through thousands of lines.

In case I am doing this wrong, here are the settings I am using in a custom view in Asset Explorer.

I have also filtered out the model of laptop I want to track and have excluded “Not Assigned” devices.

Is there a link you can provide me with that custom field method?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Zane Groven I have an idea. Do you use Rollout Scout for your beginning and end of year deployments? 

If so, you can filter by the source that changes the owner of the device. 

If you use mobile or web for those new devices, you may be able to pull them this way if you are only using Rollout Scout at the beginning and end of the year. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Unfortunately, no, we are not using Rollout Scout and since we would have to have been using it since our new devices rolled in 2 years ago it wouldn’t do us much good now. Is there anything else or can we turn this into a feature request?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Zane Groven The current work around would be to add a custom field to the user profile. This custom field you can add as a column on a custom view to see how many devices each student has been assigned. It would be a manual update.