Annual Fees for Devices?

• 7 June 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge +2

Is anyone using Fees Application to assign required annual payments for device insurance?

We can easily add the fees for all users at a set time (although it would be nice to schedule sending invoices).  Two problems we are trying to solve now are:

1. How to apply fees for any new users enrolled after the date when we initially added them to existing accounts. There is currently no way to filter on “Date Added” for Student Accounts. Have looked at using Rules engine as a possibility for solving this without any luck.
  2. How to manage fees for students that are enrolling for the first time and don’t have an account created until they actually complete online enrollment! Kind of a cart before the horse thing. Our only option here might be after the fact.

Our best solution might be to not assign fees until after school begins and manually process the one-offs (all year long  ;~).

The goal is for the fee to be paid prior to distributing devices and of course campus admins want them distributed on day 1.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@CLamb Thank you for submitting your question.

Have you thought about using Audit Manager for this? While it would not specifically assign a fee, however, it would give you an opportunity to see who has paid by them accepting the policy! This would be a work around! 

Anyone else in the community have an idea?

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

@CLamb At the district I worked for it was up to the ‘Device Manager’ at each school to create a ticket for the new student that alerted me to add our optional insurance fee for that new student. We created that ticket issue under the Chromebook Category>Student transfer/withdrawal>New Student Requesting Insurance, but you could do it where ever it makes sense for you. 

I provided them with detailed information about how to submit the ticket. It was still a manual process for me, but at least I had documentation (and also accountability if they didn’t put the ticket in). As you mentioned, I had to wait for all the systems to sync and make sure the student’s account had been created in multiple systems BEFORE I could assign them the optional fee. This was a great way for me to be able to keep up with a lot of moving parts (adding the student as the ‘on behalf of’ user once they were in iiQ).