Solved

Alerts for Lost Devices and Inactive Devices

• 11 March 2024
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Not sure if it exists but I’m looking for two things. One is that we have a lot of Chromebooks and siblings from other buildings love to mix up their devices and only after months have passed and a device needs to be serviced do we have to untangle the mess. Also somehow a student has lost their device but somehow this has gone unnoticed for months. Eternal loaners? If this can’t be done I’ll do a feature request.

1. I want to be notified (Email/Report) if a user signs into a Chromebook they are not assigned to after X times (Ex. 3 times) Also exclude loaner pools.

2. I want to be notified if an assigned device has not had its user sign in after X time (Ex. 2 weeks) Why haven’t you used your Chromebook?

icon

Best answer by TAnders 12 March 2024, 16:53

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Number 1 I don’t think is possible, we have the “last user login” field for rules, but you have to select a specific user so that would be not helpful.

Number 2: this should work, I’ll know in about 11 minutes when it runs.

I have the Google Device Last Login field set to last month, so it should match any chromebooks that have not been signed in since last month. Location is set to a single school so I don’t get 2500 emails sent, Schedule you could set to run daily/weekly, depends on what you pick for the Last login field (rolling ranges are only last week or last month/year). Status is only looking at chromebooks marked as In Service, and then it sets the new status to Not Being Used so you can run it daily without getting duplicates.

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Update, the rule fired and it did update the assets not logged in for the past month to the status I picked.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Nice, very clever use of those filters. I also had to add Grade: Exclude (Not Assigned) Because there are teachers who also don’t sign into their Chromebooks. But that’s another story.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@JBarrett 943750d scschools Thank you for submitting your question to our community! 😄 Glad @TAnders was able to help you! 

Badge +1

Update, the rule fired and it did update the assets not logged in for the past month to the status I picked.

Thank you for testing this. I needed something like this for our agents to know when a Chromebook hasn’t been used in 30 days. One issue we’re running into is that the Google Device Data: Last Login isn’t always accurate. For some reason, we have devices that have active sessions less than 30 days, but the device hasn’t been signed into in over 30 days. We are testing with Google Device Data: Last Sync to see how this would fare. 

Also, I have a suspicion the moving date field “last month” might not always equal “a month” (even though not all months have 30 days). We’ve seen some false positives where the device was reported as inactive, but they were inactive a week or two short of “a month” using the Last Login data. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

The last month moving date field is definitely wonky, because on April 1, the agent I was using as a test suddenly got 500 emails of devices not logged in in a month, when he had only received ~80 when I turned it on in March. One of the devices was sitting on his desk and was signed in to a profile so it was very weird. I think that filter might need to be looked at.

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

After looking over the rule and using the filters for the same rule in an asset view, the “last month” filter is not a good choice for this type of thing. Once a new month starts, it matches all assets synched on 3/1-3/31, so that isn’t helpful. You can only choose one option in the rule, so I thought maybe if I selected Last Month and Current Month, then exclude both, it would help, but only being able to select a single option eliminates that possibility.

Ideally this would work best with something like “Last 30 days, exclude those” then it would match anything that has not logged in or synched in over 30 days. We have a “Last 7 days” option but 7 days is not enough time for what we’re trying to do here.

I was also not able to actually locate the “last login time” field in IIQ or in Google Admin, so I switched my own rule to Last Sync instead and then I can actually verify the data it’s looking at. That’s where I saw that it was now matching stuff that was synched on 3/29 which is not what we need here.

Figured out a good way I think for this, you can add a filter of “Google last sync” with Current Month, excluded, then another filter of the same “Google last sync” with Last Month, excluded. Now my list has only assets that have NOT synched either in April or March currently. That is what we’re looking for I believe.

Badge +1

I’m testing this out as well. I’ll post back what I find. 

Badge +1

After running the rule, it looks like we’re getting emails for devices other than chromebooks like Chromebook Carts, Windows Laptops, and iPads. One would think that doing a Google last sync would only apply to chromebook devices. I’m going to open a ticket with IIQ support to clarify.