Asset Assignment, Room Assignment, User Assignment

• 15 November 2023
  • 10 replies

Badge +1

Currently, we assign each asset to a user and then indicate what room that user is located in within a building.

I am not impressed with this option because each year we have tons of users move from room to room, but the asset stays in the room.  That being said, each year, I have to go in and unassign at least 5 assets from each user that moves a room, assign them to a new user, and so on and so forth for each user.

This can be overwhelmingly time consuming.

I do count on searching by user on a regular basis to find the assets assigned to them so I can remotely log in to devices.  Our users can not find an asset tag or computer name 90% of the time, so this is a huge life saver for us.

I saw some community members discuss My Classes, but I’m not sure that would work for us either.  

Pros/Cons/Thoughts on the potential processes we could use.  

Currently, we are going to be starting at ground zero with assets and reuploading everything, so that is not a concern at this time, but finding something that works long term is.

Thank you!

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@kupcas Thank you for submitting your question to our community! 😄

You can create a rule that when the device is checked out, it matches and is assigned to the owner’s location. 

This should allow the device to follow the owner’s location. I hope this helps 

That is just Updating Location, How can we get the Asset room to update to the room of the user ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@MZottmann 51023ae d70schools For the room, this is a site option: 

The toggles for rooms would need to be on to update the rooms to match the owners' room. Please note this is site-wide, so this will be turned on for all devices; you will not be able to add filters/conditions to this setting. I hope this helps 😄

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@Kathryn Carter 

In our system, I am assigned Location of Technology Office and Room 415. So, when looking at my user profile in IIQ I can see my assigned room is Technology Office: 415.

When testing it out this morning, I was hoping to be able to assign myself an asset and the location and room be automatically changed to Technology Office: 415. However, it only changes the location to Technology Office and does not add any detail to the room. 

I do have these two site options enabled:

Is this feature not working at the moment? Is it not instantaneous? I am currently in the process of assigning many assets to users and this feature would be a big time-saver this summer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@calexander I am looking into this, but would you mind submitting a ticket to support in the meantime; and adding this thread to the description? This will help all of us keep track of the issue. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@calexander 

This site option is not retroactive. So when did you turn on these two site options?

I was looking at your user account and see that the following assets that are assigned to your account has the 

Location = Technology Office

Room = 415 MS Technology Office

• Amazon Mokin 13 in 1 USB-C Hub
  • Anker 4-Port USB 3.0 Hub A7516
  • HP ProBook 455 G7

This assets room is: GS MDF GS MDF / Technology Office

Looks like you assigned yourself ownership on 6.14.23. So this room would not be updated if you recent turned those two site options on. 

• ​​​​Logitech Z130 Speakers

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@Kathryn Carter Yes, I will do that if needed.

@Hannah Bailey 

I have had these two site options enabled for months. However, I did disable and reenable these site options when testing this feature this morning. I was testing this feature by assigning various assets in my office to myself but then I unassigned the assets from me since it was purely for testing purposes.

Here is a link to a video I just recorded of me trying to test this functionality. In the video you will see me pull up an charger #4232 and edit the asset to show that the location is “Grammar School” and there is no assigned room. I then assign the charger to myself and the location updates to “Technology Office” but the room still does not update. It is my current understanding that the field should update immediately.

https://app.screencastify.com/v3/watch/hxb3JFQVh9FLpps44xLt

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@calexander 

Thank you for sending over that video. Super helpful!

So I went and look at the assets timeline and it looks like a rule that is configured is removing the room number. In the rule you have “Assign Location > Owner’s Location” it is removing the room. I reached out to our CS/Support team to see if that is intended when having the rule configured that way. 

But if you remove that action from the rule and have those two site options turned on, it will assign the location of the assign user and the assigned room. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@Hannah Bailey 

Thank you for the quick assistance! I assumed it wasn’t working and didn’t think to check the timeline. I have removed that action in the rule. I believe that action is working as intended but that there needs to be an Assign Room action as well if there is not already. Also, I would not be offended if the team wants to delete my comments in this post so that we can keep this thread on topic.

Thanks again!

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Agreed, there needs to be assign room action 😁

Glad we could figure it out though.