Solved

Bulk Assigning Assets to Users

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

We recently onboarded IIQ. We are 1:1 Chromebooks to students, and I’m trying to find an easy way to assign Chromebook devices in bulk to their users. 

I can pull a CSV of all students alongside their email addresses, serial numbers, and other pertinent device info. I was wondering if there is some bulk action or timesaving way that I can assign the devices to the student users all at once.

I looked through the KB articles and searched the questions here but couldn’t find anything.

icon

Best answer by ccooney 5 May 2022, 16:33

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

You could do an import from a csv. There is a template file on the import assets page. It’ll have more fields than you need so delete the columns you don’t want, fill in the ones you do. And make a column called “Owner” that is populated with the School ID and it can assign them for you. I’ve done this several times and it works well for me. Of course you should test it with a small set of data like 5 - 10 students before committing to your entire student body.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

You could do an import from a csv. There is a template file on the import assets page. It’ll have more fields than you need so delete the columns you don’t want, fill in the ones you do. And make a column called “Owner” that is populated with the School ID and it can assign them for you. I’ve done this several times and it works well for me. Of course you should test it with a small set of data like 5 - 10 students before committing to your entire student body.

I just want to make sure; IIQ will identify that the asset already exists and will not overwrite it, only update the information?

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

My experience is that it will update any field based on how you match the asset. It’ll ask you to match by asset or serial number. I personally only include the matching field (asset number is what I use) and what changes I want to make. If you include others, even blank, that’s when I’ve ran into issues. 

So if I were doing this I would have the AssetTag field and the Owner field and leave it at that.

And I again stress to test with a small data sample. Something easily manageable to manually fix if it changes something unexpected.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thank you, I will attempt this and report back.

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hello, @ccooney

@bclark is correct, this route will bulk assign your assets to your users via the CSV import. I am adding the help guide that provides step by step directions for this. Thank you for reaching out to the Community for any questions you have! Thank you @bclark for the assist with this question 🙂

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

This appears to have worked, though not without a little pain.

For any who find this topic who wondered the same as I did, as of this writing the Asset Upload page is not entirely accurate. It declares that Model or Asset ID are required, but they are not. You can, as I did, match by serial number, and then in the ensuing fields, manually adjust how the upload handles the data. For some reason, the system will find null fields and assume you want to nullify those fields, such as the device’s location; one must manually map those to the preferred values.

Also, I had to manually add a column for ‘Owner’, as the sample you download from the site (for some reason) omits this column, though the upload tool did identify it and apply it appropriately.

I imagine this reads like nonsense; as I said, not exactly the most eloquently-designed process, but after a round of testing and re-testing, I got it to (mostly) work.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Worth noting I did break down and simply call the tech support phone line, and was walked through much of this; the documentation is pretty weak and seems to have desynced from the reality of how the system operates, sadly.

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hello, @ccooney. I am so sorry to hear that you had a difficult time completing this task. I am glad that you were eventually able to finish the import and setup, however, I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced. We will be taking a look at the help documentation and making any necessary corrections. Thank you for bringing this to our attention! Have a great rest of your day 🙂