Creating a device report for exiting staff

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hi,

School district here. Every year we have a number of employees who either retire or leave for other reasons. Retrieving technology from these staff can be a challenging process. It would help greatly if we could provide our HR department and Office Managers with a list of assigned devices for each leaving staff so they know exactly what to collect from them. 

Is there an easy way in IIQ to create a report of user-assigned devices when the only starting point we have is a list of names and email address on a spreadsheet (provided by HR)? Thank you in advance. 

12 replies

Badge +1

I would be very interested in this information too. We are going from another program to IIQ & I will need this info. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

@Daniel P 
There are a couple of ways of accomplishing this. 

The first option is to create a custom view with users' roles set to “no access” and they have an assigned device. Here is an article walking you through setting up this custom view.  

Another option is to copy and paste a column from an existing spreadsheet while using a "users" filter to recreate an existing report. Then, just pull in the assigned device column.

1. From your user view use the following filter: “Users”

1. Copy and Paste the email address from spreadsheet

I hope this helps 😁

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

I know this won’t be an option for alot of smaller districts however if you are lucky enough to have developers on hand then you can implement a solution similar to ours.  Below is how we handle collecting technology from our employees leaving - we also do a similar process for our new hires.

Each night we go out to the IncidentIQ API and pull in all assets into our own database.  When someone submits paperwork to leave the district then our HR department updates our ERP software.  That's when all the magic happens, once we see the HR status update then we automatically email the employee and their manager a list of all devices assigned to them in IIQ along with their leave date (we also send reminders as well).  Inside that email it has a link for them to click on which takes them to a scheduling app we developed so they can pick a day and time to return their device at our IT building.  When an employee submits a day and time then we shoot a ticket into IIQ via email with the employees name, title, and date/time along with a tag.  Based on the tag onboarding or offboarding we attach subtasks to the ticket so our Help Desk can follow step by step what to do with the devices.  When the employee arrives at our building they check in via a Kiosk (part of our custom app) by clicking on their Name/Appointment which then sends a notification to our Help Desk staff that the employee is in our building.  They come out and greet the employee, collect the device, check it for damages and completes the subtask from the ticket.  After that they send the employee on their way.

This process has been a great help for us collecting devices when an employee leaves the district and also has been a great help with us with distributing devices for our new hires.  We are medium sized district with over 5,000 employees so automating the process was a must for us.  Hopefully this will at least spark some ideas that will help others along the way.  Feel free to post any questions about our process as I’ll be glad to answer them.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

@iiqadmin Thank you for your reply. I’m familiar with this approach, however the problem is most of our users have multiple devices. I’m aware there is a filter to show users with multiple devices, but the problem is IIQ won’t allow you to CSV export multiple devices out of this specific view. My ultimate goal is to create a mail merge to include all assigned device for each exiting staff, but I can’t get past this limitation in IIQ.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

@mcsdwes Thank you for your reply! Unfortunately we currently don’t have the proper skillset in our district to replicate such an advanced workflow. However, you mention pulling assets straight off the IIQ API. I’m curious about this approach: where I hit a wall with IiQ is that there is no way from the GUI to CSV export users with multiple devices, how hard is to get this type pf data from API to spreadsheet? and are you able to handle multiple device assignments with this method? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

@Daniel P - We don’t have an issue pulling multiple devices as all our employees have a laptop and a dock currently assigned to them in IIQ and we also have employee with phones as well so sometimes an employees may have 3 to 5 items assigned to them.

We started by using the great work already created by Alec Baily - https://github.com/Alec-Bailey/IncidentIQ-Data-Sync.  We were able to use the code to pull all our data into our own database so I’m not sure if this will help you out or not.  Once you get your data into your own database then the possibilities are endless on what you can do.  You could easily write SQL scripts to extract the data that you need and generate emails or letters.  Below is an example email that we send to an employee when we they are leaving our district.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask additional questions if needed.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

@mcsdwes Thank you for sharing this very clever workflow! Unfortunately we currently have neither the resources nor the bandwidth to tackle a project such as this. Perhaps we’ll consider contracting this out to a developer, but It still seems very odd to me that IIQ can’t figure out a way to output users with multiple devices directly from the GUI. Off-boarding is such a fundamental function in school districts, we shouldn’t be forced to bend ourselves into pretzels to make this work.  Thank you again for sharing all your knowledge!

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

@Daniel P - I agree this should be basic functionality that should exist.  You would think simple needs would exist in their Onboarding/Offboarding product.  Because something like this didn’t exist we decided to just build our own and wrap it around all our workflows and needs.  It seems there’s not one company out there that has “THE” perfect product that will do everything we need right out of the box.  Because of that we tend to build our own solutions however I understand not every district has those types of skillsets.  I feel very fortunate our Superintendent sees the value of our Development/Database teams and has allowed my team to grow over the years.  If I could outsource my Dev team to you then I most certainly would however I don’t think that would go over to well and I would prefer to keep my job :-)  Best of luck and hopefully IIQ will come up with a simple solution for this issue.

Badge +2

@Daniel P - We don’t have an issue pulling multiple devices as all our employees have a laptop and a dock currently assigned to them in IIQ and we also have employee with phones as well so sometimes an employees may have 3 to 5 items assigned to them.

We started by using the great work already created by Alec Baily - https://github.com/Alec-Bailey/IncidentIQ-Data-Sync.  We were able to use the code to pull all our data into our own database so I’m not sure if this will help you out or not.  Once you get your data into your own database then the possibilities are endless on what you can do.  You could easily write SQL scripts to extract the data that you need and generate emails or letters.  Below is an example email that we send to an employee when we they are leaving our district.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask additional questions if needed.

And...sent to the system admins!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Loving all the collaboration on this topic. Thank you all for your input 😁

@Daniel P There is an idea in our idea exchange regarding exporting assets. Please go vote and comment 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

@Hannah Bailey Thanks for the idea exchange, but that particular topic is referring to linked assets only. My issue is with multiple assets, regardless of linked status. Our teachers generally have a Laptop, an iPad and in some cases a Chromebook as well, not necessarily linked to each other.

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

This could be done easily if the export options and rules/filters were universal among the different sub sections (tickets/assets/users). You can easily set up a view under Users to show users with multiple devices checked out, but you cannot export Assets from that view. If you try to replicate the view under Assets to export the data, you do not have the “User > Multiple Devices” filter as an option. It is the same under rules as well, you can create a rule based on “User > Multiple Devices”, but you can’t add a tag or a note to that user to have something to filter off under an Assets view. If you try to make a rule under Assets to assign a tag to the asset, there is no option for the User > Multiple devices. 

I have submitted an idea previously to try to make filters/columns/rules universal throughout the separate areas if you want to check it out.