Solved

Editing and existing Field Type from 'Text' to 'Select'

I have created a custom field for department and I originally made it as a text field.  After thinking about it I thought that the select option will be better to keep consistency.  However, I do not see a way to edit this parameter.

icon

Best answer by JTherrien_iiQ 23 May 2024, 00:34

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi @DJenkins 1934eeb hobart !

The field type associated with custom fields cannot be edited after creation. You will need to create a new custom field to switch to the drop-down option.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Thank you for your response.  I was afraid of that. Can I delete it and then recreate it with the same name so that the existing values will populate properly? If not, I guess I could change all assets with a department to <blank> and then reimport the info.

Userlevel 1

You have the right idea. But you could export the data as it is currently then reimport it and map it to the new, appropriate field. Bear in mind, if you delete the old field, it will delete the record of it from your assets entirely. If that could be an issue for your reporting, I might recommend giving the new one a slightly different name (ex. Department* or New Department) or change the old one’s name (ex. Department (old)) so that you can have both until the old one’s history becomes irrelevant and removable.

Again, let me know if you have any questions! :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@DJenkins 1934eeb hobart Thank you for submitting your question to our community! 😄

Thanks @JTherrien_iiQ for jumping in on this one!! Let us know if you have any questions!