How to keep devices from moving out of a specific OU?

We have configured our chrome devices to follow the student for 7-12. They move schools (within in the district, the chromebook moves to the new OU.

We have an OU for our specific devices that should never move no matter which student or staff is signed in.  How do we exclude the OU?

12 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

The way we do this is by not mapping locations to OU’s and instead using the OU writeback based on filters. 

You can set a filter with a custom attribute (Ours is called “Device Role”) and if you want it to be in a specific OU you can point those that match that filter to that OU. If you really want to move them manually within GAC, you could exclude assets that have that custom attribute and IIQ will effectively ignore them for writeback.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@amac Thank you for submitting your question to our community! 😄

Thank you @spsalexs for adding your workflow. Is this what you were looking for @amac

I’m still pretty new with rules.  Need some more detail. Where do you build the filter? How does it get applied along with the custom attribute?

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I’m still pretty new with rules.  Need some more detail. Where do you build the filter? How does it get applied along with the custom attribute?

First navigate to Google Devices app 

Scroll down to this section:

Make sure orgUnitPath is selected and you can easily add a Filter to EXCLUDE whatever you want, we are simply doing it by a serial number. Then when you assign students to devices, the write back will ignore changing the OU of the excluded device.

If I read this correctly.  We can set a filter of OUs to be excluded then in the ORGUnit Path map we map all the school OUs for the devices that can move. Right?

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@amac Select the OUs you wish not to move (make sure you hit exclude) and map the ones you want to move - that is correct! 😄

What if we have a chromebook OU that isn’t linked to a school\site?  We have a Warehouse 
OU that all the chromebooks live in until they get assigned to a school.  How would I map that or do I need to?

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@amac I don’t think you would need to because they will move OUs when assigned to the school/student. 

Do just destinations need to be mapped not sources?

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@amac I think this would best be handled by a meeting with your CSM. Please reach out to them to get a meeting set up. We want to make sure this is getting set up correctly for your specific site. 

Between the the OU exclusions and providing OU mappings, so far things are wokring correctly.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@amac Glad to hear it!! 😄