Skip to main content

I've been reflecting on our maintenance and repair processes for our 1:1 Chromebooks, and I'm looking for ways to optimize our device management. Specifically, I'd like to create a view to track the top-repaired devices by model to identify those that require frequent maintenance and consider removing them from circulation.

I've noticed that some devices have accumulated a substantial amount of repair costs, exceeding the original device cost. For instance, I've seen devices with $300 in repairs, yet the original device only cost $274. I'm concerned about the potential wasted resources and would like to explore strategies to better manage our device inventory.

What approaches or tools do you use to track and manage your device maintenance and repair costs? Any insights or suggestions would be appreciated.

@cshelden Thank you for submitting your question to our community! 😄

This is a great question, and it took me some time to research and find the best answer for you. So what I did was create a custom view based on role (student) and model category (chromebooks). I added the columns to display my data: Requested for (the student), Asset Tag (the asset/s), and cost of parts (total cost per part used). 

You can export this data into an Excel sheet and create a pivot table. This pivot table allows you to sort those students according to their assets and costs. You can see how much each student has spent per device and filter by cost and asset tag if you don’t want to include the student. 

Please let me know if you have questions! 😄

Thank you, I’ll give that a try.  I was trying to do this from the asset perspective, it never occurred to me to try it from a user approach.  I may need to adjust it for students who have left.  

@cshelden Please let me know how this works for you! Looking forward to hearing about it. 😄