Skip to main content

We currently use a Spare Pool to manage a set of “loaner” Chromebooks that students can check out if they forget theirs at home. Last year, when we checked out a loaner Chromebook we would simply scan the barcode into the “Check-in/Check-out” tool and it would show the date in the “Spare Pool: Issue Date” column. Since this school year started I do not have that functionality any more. It checks the device out to the student but does not enter anything in the date field. Has anyone else noticed this change and was this intentional? 

So, are you assigning the loaners just by checking them out, and not using the “spare pool” option in a ticket? I wonder if that’s why you don’t see the data.

We only assign devices through tickets, and I do see the “Issue date”

@AMeyer Greendale Schools,

Yes, that is correct, we only have been assigning them through the Check-in/Check-out tool. I will test assigning through a ticket to see if that works for us. 

I just assigned a spare pool device through check in/out, and I do not see the “issue date” filled in.

The knowledge base article about the spare pools only mentions issuing the devices through a ticket, so I wonder if you shouldn’t have been seeing that field populate in the past.

I created a ticket and issued a spare as @AMeyer Greendale Schools suggested and the issue date is now filled in. 

Then I checked the spare pool device in through the Check-in/Check-out tool. It removed the “Owner” from the device but did not remove the Issue Date. I had to go into the ticket and “Return Spare” to clear the issue date. 

While our usage doesn’t follow that outlined in the Spare Pool knowledge base article, we find it’s much easier. I’d just like to know from IIQ if this was an intended change to align to their Spare Pool knowledge base article or just a bug from another change that was implemented. It would be really great to have the flexibility to use Spare Pools via the Check-in/Check-out tool without having to create a ticket.  

@Kathryn Carter @Hannah Bailey 

I’m sure one of you would wander in here eventually, but figure a ping doesn’t hurt 😊

@AMeyer Greendale Schools Thanks for the ping and all your feedback.

@MPeters 48079a4 stjacademy  Spare pool is only used through tickets. It is not tied with the check in and out feature. Is the “Spare Pool Issue Date” a custom field that your district created?

@Hannah Bailey 

No, the “Spare Pool: Issue Date” is not a custom field we created.

We’ve been using the Check-in/Check-out tool with a Spare Pool since February 2023, where both the owner and issue date were populated in the Spare Pool. This functionality stopped working at the start of this school year.

If this were not the intended use, I would expect to see an error message when trying to Check-in/Check-out an asset in a Spare Pool, but that’s not happening.

I know that our usage of a Spare Pool is a little different than intended, but it has worked well for our school. 

Figured I’d drop in and say the “Spare Pool: Issue Date” has been present for us all school year, and I do not see anywhere that we would have created it as a custom field.