Syncing Google Chrome ZTE Devices that are in a Pre-Provisioned State

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

This is our first summer rolling out ZTE (zero-touch enrollment) devices, which have significantly shortened the amount of time we spend on deploying the devices.

When we receive the shipment, they are already listed in our Admin Console with a “pre-provisioned” status. I just noticed that this status is not an option to sync over under the General Settings of the Google Devices Sync.

I'm assuming that if we sync over all deprovisioned devices, they will come over, but that may also bring over unwanted retired devices from our past. (This has not been tested)

I believe that the pre-provisioned status should fall under the “Active” state in IIQ. I can see the potential for us to assign and physically hand over a device to a student in a pre-provisioned state because all they really need to do is connect it to the WIFI, and it will automatically enroll within seconds.

Thoughts?

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@mfischer Thank you for submitting your question to our Community. 

You can create custom asset statuses. Here is the guide to get you started. Once you create that status, when your Google Devices sync, you can adjust the settings to bring the new devices as pre-provisioned into iiQ .

I hope this helps 😄

Userlevel 2
Badge

Our district just starting using iiQ and we also had our new Chromebooks get delivered with ZTE. One of the schools in our district planned on checking devices out to students starting next week and we noticed that the pre-provisioned devices weren’t synced as you mentioned. To resolve this we navigated to the Google Devices app within iiQ and within Model Mappings we set devices that don’t have a model set to display as “Generic chromebook.” After performing a full sync all of the pre-provisioned devices appeared within iiQ. Once the Chromebook is in use and Google pulls the necessary info, the asset should then update with the correct model etc on the next Google Devices sync.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@DBergstol 8606904 ewrsd Thank you for adding your insight here!! This is great 😄

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Our district just starting using iiQ and we also had our new Chromebooks get delivered with ZTE. One of the schools in our district planned on checking devices out to students starting next week and we noticed that the pre-provisioned devices weren’t synced as you mentioned. To resolve this we navigated to the Google Devices app within iiQ and within Model Mappings we set devices that don’t have a model set to display as “Generic chromebook.” After performing a full sync all of the pre-provisioned devices appeared within iiQ. Once the Chromebook is in use and Google pulls the necessary info, the asset should then update with the correct model etc on the next Google Devices sync.

@DBergstol 8606904 ewrsd would you mind showing this? I don’t have an option for blank/not set models in the model mappings tab. This would be an easy fix for us if that’s the case, but I just don’t have that listed as a mapping option it seems.

Userlevel 2
Badge

@DBergstol 8606904 ewrsd would you mind showing this? I don’t have an option for blank/not set models in the model mappings tab. This would be an easy fix for us if that’s the case, but I just don’t have that listed as a mapping option it seems.

Sure! This is what the Model Mappings tab in the Google Devices app displays for me. The Asset Model is called [Not Set] and you can choose any model to map it to in iiQ, so we went with Generic chromebook to keep it simple.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Thanks @jclark16 for jumping in on this one! 😄

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Sure! This is what the Model Mappings tab in the Google Devices app displays for me. The Asset Model is called [Not Set] and you can choose any model to map it to in iiQ, so we went with Generic chromebook to keep it simple.

This is strange - we don’t have the “Not Set” option. I’ll have to look into that. Thanks for sharing!

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

jclark, us either, I am calling my CSM to see if this feature needs to be turned on by IIQ support first?

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

jclark, us either, I am calling my CSM to see if this feature needs to be turned on by IIQ support first?

@akorkishko it used to show for us but has since vanished. We communicated with our CSM on this and I believe it’s being worked on. You may want to confirm, though.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

@akorkishko it used to show for us but has since vanished. We communicated with our CSM on this and I believe it’s being worked on. You may want to confirm, though.

Thanks man! I am in conversation with our CSM now, if they can’t help I’ll reach out to support. I am sure it’s a toggle on the back end to enable it. It would definitely speed up enrollment process!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@akorkishko Thank you for reaching out about this! As @jclark mentioned, our team is working on this! I am following our internal ticket and will update you once I hear back with an update from them 😄