Skip to main content

Having a well-established ticketing system in place is essential … but even if you’re still using hand-written work orders and Excel-based spreadsheets, you can still use the following work ticket template structures to inform your own ticketing process. Using Ticket Templates for maintenance work Orders, Emergency repair work orders, preventive maintenance work orders, inspection work orders, and more. 

Many of the tasks facility members oversee could be a ticket template. Here are some examples:

1. Yearly Fire Extinguisher Inspection - an annual ticket is created and assigned to a specific agent at the beginning of each school year to remind them to inspect the fire extinguishers at a particular school.
  2. Monthly Inspection Report - this template creates a monthly ticket to remind a specific agent to perform an inspection report on one particular van and trailer.
  3. Custodial Flood Response - This template was created to be used in the event of a flooding emergency. The ticket is automatically assigned to a specific agent and assigns multiple followers.
  4. Carpentry Flood Response - similar to the Custodial Flood Response template, this is assigned to a specific agent in the event of flood damage. 

Common Fields in a Work Ticket Template

It’s useful to have a separate work ticket template for each type of service request, such as maintenance work orders, preventive work orders and new resource requests. However, there are several common fields in any given work order format, no matter what kind of request form is being generated. These common fields include:

• Work Order Number: Also called job order or job ticket number, this unique identifier is assigned by the maintenance team or ticketing software, and allows anyone using the work order system to call up or request details on the ticket at any time.
  • Contact Name: The contact name, also sometimes called the customers’ name, is usually the name of the person drafting the ticket. Contact name can be the name of anyone who should be the point of contact with questions and follow up information.
  • Contact Information: The customer information may include a cell number, email address and other practical contact information.
  • Type of Work: The type of work field may be a drop-down menu to help categorize the work to be accomplished. For example, an IT work order template would include power issues, login issues, connectivity issues, etc., while a facilities work order template would include equipment repairs, quick fixes like changing a lightbulb, and so on.
  • Scope of Work: Scope of work field is an open-ended description where the customer can list specific details about the work to be completed, including a description of the problem and details that make this job unique over others.
  • Required Timeline: The timeline is when the ticket submitter needs to finish the work.
  • Ticket Assignee: The ticket assignee is the technician/maintenance team member who will work this ticket – usually as assigned by the crew, not by the customer.
  • Authorized Approval: This is the name of the person who will certify that work was done correctly and the ticket can be closed – usually, this is a person on the technician team or member.

Other fields used can be aligned with your school facilities master plan and ticket type, to ensure that your ticketing system meets your school’s unique needs.

What other examples is your district using for those Facilities tickets? 

Looking to set up ticket templates? Here is the KB Guide: 

This is a great list! I have seen Facilities groups set up an issue category of “preventative maintenance” with each PM listed as an issue type underneath. Since you many not want your teachers submitting tickets under these categories you can change the visibility for Agents and Admins only. 

Here are a few examples:

• Preventative Maintenance> Backflow Testing
  • Preventative Maintenance> Boilers
  • Preventative Maintenance> Gym Inspections
  • Preventive Maintenance> Monthly Vehicle Inspections

If you are feeling extra fancy you can download our free Advanced Ticketing for Facilities. This allows you to put subtasks on the ticket templates so certain tasks can fire automatically when the ticket comes in on a schedule (ie “Make sure you can easily access the extinguisher”). Then when the person working the ticket receives it they can check of each subtask as they are completed. 

Thanks @arosenbaum_iiQ for adding these preventative maintenance examples. I know that adding those subtickets on a schedule would also help keep everything up to date!  

Would love to see an “every three months” added to the scheduling option.

Thanks!

@MRice 2330f3f yarmouth

Love the feedback. Here is an idea that you can upvote regarding adding more options for schedule ticket templates 😁

For a workaround you can add multiple schedules to one ticket templates to fire off based on three months. 

To piggyback off this. The school would like to have a scheduled ticket kickoff. Easy. They would like to have it kicked out to multiple locations. Easy. Here is the kicker. They want a ticket to be created for each custodian. So basically, a ticket template for carpet cleaning. Say this fires off every 3 months. They want a ticket to be generated to each custodian, instead of just the head custodian. 

How can we achieve sending a single ticket type to multiple agents on a schedule. 

Hi @DE SysAdmin Do you have your custodians in the system as Agents? If so, could you use the action “assign to agent (by location)” and then each location select your custodians? 

@arosenbaum_iiQ Right, but you can only do 1 agent per location, correct? I would be looking to do a location but then each custodian at that location.

@DE SysAdmin That’s correct. You could put them on a team and send it to a team of custodians per location? 

@DE SysAdmin You can add one agent per location. Do you have multiple custodians who need to be assigned per location? 

In this instance, you can add multiple locations to 1 rule. 

Correct, we want the ticket to fire each quarter. Multiple custodians at each location would need to get this ticket to log the check was complete. I also though in the rules engine you could only choose the location one time not multiple.

Looking at the rules, it only lets me choose a location 1 time. If I choose to create a ticket it will let me select the template, but this feels like the wrong direction to take. If I go to create a sub ticket and pick the template, I can choose to assign to user, which looks like how I would want to tackle this, but if I choose a user, it just stays blank like it isn’t going to assign the sub ticket to a user

@DE SysAdmin First, I am going to suggest you link up with your CSM, Vince, to have a work session to talk through this workflow. 

Second, I think of creating an “on a schedule” rule per location. You can create the parent ticket and assign the subtickets to each agent based on the rooms they will be working. It would be some building on your end, but I think it would create exactly what you want. Have you built a ticket templates before?