Skip to main content

Hello All:

I work for a charter school using the homeschooling model.  In short there are no brick & mortar schools.  So we ship LOTS of laptops to kids, Chromebooks, Windows and Macbook Airs.  Often, a family may get 2 or more of the same device for siblings.  What inevitably happens is that wrong sibling logs into the wrong laptop.  Do ya see where I am going with this?  I would like to use Automated Verification to send an email to our team for the following condition:
Within a timeframe, say 2 weeks, the wrong kid logs into the device and the right never does.  
If w/in that timeframe, the proper kid logs in, no notification.
If w/in that timeframe no one at all logs in, no notification.  
Is this doable?  
Is this doable for apple devices (Macbook Airs and iPads)?  We use Jamf School and Jamf Pro as our apple MDM.  Intune for Windows devices.  And, of course, G-Admin for Chromebooks.

Thanks very much for taking the time to read this.  Have a great day!

@timdaye Thank you for submitting your question to our community! 😄

I know you have add a filter for Google Chrome devices however I am not sure about the metadata for Jamf. @bclark and @Cozmo03 do y’all pull that metadata? 

Even if I can get this to work for Chromebooks and Windows laptops, that’d be a big win for me.  

@timdaye Alright, check out this thread and let me know if this is what you are looking for with Google Devices: 

Thanks for the reply:  Admittedly, I did not read the entire thread, but it did not sound like what I am looking for.  At the lunch and learn I recently attended, it was communicated that if a student logs into a Chromebook that is not assigned to them, I could get notified.  That is what I am looking for.  

Thanks again and have a great day!

@timdaye Alright so I looked into your rules and you need one. You would add an assets rule under the trigger 'when verified' > Audit status= failed THEN send email alert to ______. 

Thanks for the info.  I guess what I am looking for is if, for example, little Johnnie logs into a laptop, like a Chromebook, that is assigned to little Janie, can I get a notification for that?

Thanks again and have a great day!

@timdaye 

I do now know of a way to do this JUST when Johnnie logs into a laptop that is assigned to little Janie. The rules engine is just looking at all verification not just mismatched users. 

You can create a Automated Audit Policy, where it looks at the assigned owner and then verified the device if the user logs into that device, or fails it if another user logins. 

Then you could create a custom view that is filtered by the Audit Policy and Last Verification is Yes (excluded). 

This doesnt email you, but good reference to see the list of assets. You could also create a ticket template on a schedule to fire weekly or monthly, for you to review those assets.