Question

How does IIQ manage Google devices in the root OU?

• 15 September 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I sync devices into IIQ with the Google Devices app. I have devices in the root OU in Google. The root OU is sometimes referenced by a “/” and sometimes by the domain name (rfschools.com, in my case).

Location Mapping:

1. If I wanted to map an IIQ Location to the root OU, how would I write that? / or domain?
  2. If I map to the root OU and I have devices not otherwise named in an existing location mapping, do they get inherited by the root OU mapping or would they get the Default Location setting?

I’d test this buy I’d need to run full syncs and can only run 2 a day (it throws errors I assume are for too many API calls. I’m not sure).

As far as filtering, the root OU is referenced as a “/” and it inherits everything. If I use it in a filter against assets, it does nothing (all assets are shown with/without it). That means nothing for location mapping, but I just wanted to call out the behavior, as I could at least test it.

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

We created a location in iiQ called “Unassiged” and have this set as the default location, so it handles anything where we don’t have an OU mapped to a location, including the root.

Hopefully this can help you out as well.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Also, it’s odd that you’re getting API errors. I have run several full syncs in a day without issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@bbeaudette Thank you for submitting your question to our Community. 

I reached out to my supervisor on this one. So, we recommend users be as specific as possible with their OUs so that every asset doesn’t end up in your root OU. We looked into your OUS  and you have your OUs match what you have mapped. So, this will likely necessitate you going back and changing the OU names in Google to get accurate mappings.

If @jclark16’s suggest would not require you to do that, I would follow in their foot steps. Thank you for providing that workflow! 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Unfortunately, my Google sync is broken (IIQ support ticket submitted) so I can’t test. But to clarify, my Google Student OU structure looks like this:

Now, not all of these BES OUs have devices in them, but they COULD. Typically, devices are in /Students/BES, so I always have that listed in the mappings. But if a tech moved a device from /Students/BES into /Students/BES/Grade 1, there would not be a mapping. Would the device in the Grade 1 OU get sucked up by the /Students/BES mapping or the root (/) OU mapping? Or would it be a device with no location mapping and be assigned to the “default location”?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@bbeaudette From my understanding, it should stay in the /Students/BES OU.