Solved

Conditionally creating subtickets

• 19 September 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

In a rule that creates subtickets, is it possible to create an additional subticket only if a custom field = a specific value?

For instance, when a student unenrolls from our district, the office manager puts in a ticket for our building tech to make arrangements to collect the student’s iPad.  A subticket is created for our state reporting coordinator to unenroll the student in our student information system. 

What I want to do is have the same rule create a second subticket if the student is a Special Ed student (SPED Student? custom field = Yes) but I don’t think I can do that unless I build second rule to follow this one. 

*Edited to add that I tried to accomplish this in two rules but am unable to create a second subticket in a separate rule that relates back to the parent ticket created by the previous rule. The rules simulator makes it look like this should work, but it does not create a second subticket on the parent ticket or any ticket at all.

Rules simulator result with two separate rules. 

Does anyone have any ideas about how to accomplish this in one rule or two?

icon

Best answer by mcarrigan 9 January 2024, 22:03

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@mcarrigan Thank you for submitting your question to our Community. 😄

I don’t think we are able to do this within 1 rule. A great resource is to reach out to your CSM as well. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Okay, I have an exciting update!  My second rule to conditionally create a subticket to the parent ticket created in the previous rule is now working.   

Here’s how this works: if a student unenrolls, an office manager puts in a ticket. 

In the rules engine, the first rule always creates a student unenrollment parent ticket and sub ticket.  This rule is set to continue to the next rule.

The next rule checks a custom field in the student unenrollment parent ticket and if the value = yes, this rule creates a subticket for the student unenrollment parent ticket created by the previous rule. This rule is set to stop processing any more rules.

It’s a thing of beauty.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@mcarrigan LOVE to hear this!! Great job, and thank you for sharing 😄

Badge

Maureen:

Can you give us some more details on how you did this? I am interested in doing something similar. If possible, a screenshot?

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Here are the two rules:

Rule 1A always creates a parent ticket for the building tech to collect the student’s iPad and a sub ticket for the person who is responsible for unenrolling students & reporting to the state.  

Rule 1B checks a custom field on the parent ticket that was just created and if it is set to yes, that rule creates an additional sub ticket for our SpEd tech to discontinue any software licenses for that student.

Pictures below.  Let me know if this needs any further clarification.

Maureen

Here’s the first rule.  (I didn’t include the assign by location portion where the rule determines the building tech and/or team to assign the parent ticket to.)  This rule is set to continue processing.

Here’s the second rule that checks the value of a custom field in the previous rule.  This rule is set to stop processing.