Question

Merge Duplicate Tickets

Badge +1

Is there a way to merge duplicate tickets that users have submitted?

16 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Yes, when you click on the down arrow beside the resolve button you get an option to merge the ticket with the original ticket, you just need to know the request number of the original ticket. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @farmerje Thank you for your question! 

As @Belcher.shane suggested, you can merge it with another ticket using the “Resolve - Duplicate Ticket” button. Make sure you have the Ticket number of the original ticket (found on the top left corner of the ticket) so that you can merge them together. 

I hope this helps 😄

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@farmerje you could also work the tickets together at the same time if you have multiple of the same kind. Here is a link to the guide on how to do that: 

Is there a way to merge duplicate tickets that users have submitted?

Is there any way to merge duplicate tickets prior to resolving? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@kromanik Hi there!

There is not a way to merge them before resolving them besides selecting them and working them together as a bulk operation. I attached the guide in the comment above to help you with that. If you would like to suggest that idea into our Idea Exchange, that would be great!

Here is the link: https://community.incidentiq.com/ideas  I would suggest finding any other ideas you agree with and upvote them 😄

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@kromanik - Looks like there is already another idea out there for this feature 😁

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Is there a good way to eliminate an email notification to a user when a duplicate ticket is resolved? It would be ideal if the requestor was not notified, as they often think their ticket is completely closed, not realizing it was a duplicate. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Erica - Not yet. This would be another great enhancement linked with this idea. I went ahead and submitted the “eliminate email notification” idea. 

Badge

Ideally it would be nice if there was a ‘Merge tickets’ function in the ticket overview when you select multiple tickets and click ‘Other’. I understand you can work multiple tickets together in one package, but specifically we get users that put in a ticket, and then get impatient and submit another one (or three). It would be nice to just select all of those and be able to click ‘merge tickets’ into one.

An issue with the ‘Resolve - duplicate ticket’ is that it does not copy any information from the old ticket, like responses into the new merged ticket, meaning you have to back to the old ticket and copy any comments the user has put in and then paste them into a new comment on the new master ticket. Our old system would do what, which reduced some of the effort required to make sure duplicate tickets were fully up to date.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@TKern 9079bb3 gtc This is great insight and would love to see your vote and insight on our idea submitted about this! 

Badge

Yes IQ make a ticket merge happen!!! 

In another ticket system we used before IQ there was a way to merge. I not knowing this system well tried to do the same thing and ended up with duplicate tickets.  I closed them and the user thought i closed their ticket! 

Or just fix the notification to the user when a ticket is closed.  Most users don’t care that the ticket is closed as long as their problem is resolved.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@JBoehm 6673a8c bcsdhelpdesk I have relocated your comment to the proper thread. 😄

Has this issues been resolved

An issue with the ‘Resolve - duplicate ticket’ is that it does not copy any information from the old ticket, like responses into the new merged ticket, meaning you have to back to the old ticket and copy any comments the user has put in and then paste them into a new comment on the new master ticket. Our old system would do what, which reduced some of the effort required to make sure duplicate tickets were fully up to date. 

Need to keep information from all tickets into one ticket.  Then close 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@VOrton 6130ff3 usd113 I am relocating your comment to the correct Idea thread. The idea is still open and I have no update at this time. 

Thanks!!!  Will I be notified if this comment is done or not?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@VOrton 6130ff3 usd113 Please subscribe to the “Merge Tickets” idea thread, where you will receive notifications about this enhancement. 😄 https://community.incidentiq.com/ideas/merge%2Dtickets%2D589