Solved

Notification Settings

• 18 December 2023
  • 8 replies

Badge +1

I need some help trying to get notifications to work the way we want. I have been spent a couple of days playing around and still don’t have it working.

We have someone that sits on our Help Desk and creates tickets for people all day. People in the Technology department also cover the Help Desk when she is off or during lunch. I do not want her, or those people covering the Help Desk phones, to constantly receive email notifications on tickets they open, when an agent updates the ticket, or when an agent closes the ticket days later.

I still want the person who the ticket was opened on behalf of to receive all those notifications. The only solution I have come up with is that we have to change the submitted by to the person who called into the Help Desk.

icon

Best answer by MLocke 773d4ae eacs 8 January 2024, 14:39

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@MLocke 773d4ae eacs 

Notifications are tricky because you can be the submitter, follower, or agent of tickets. I am currently testing this out for you.

But have one question - your Help Desk/Technology department users that are submitting the tickets, do you want them to get any notifications?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@MLocke 773d4ae eacs 

Here is what worked for me - 

In my testing site I turned off all email notifications under the sections: “As Owner” and “As Follower.”

Turned off both because I’m technically the owner when submitting the ticket and then adds me as a follow of the ticket. 

Please let me know if this works for you. 

Badge +1

@MLocke 773d4ae eacs

Notifications are tricky because you can be the submitter, follower, or agent of tickets. I am currently testing this out for you.

But have one question - your Help Desk/Technology department users that are submitting the tickets, do you want them to get any notifications?

@Hannah Bailey Sorry for the late reply on this. We do want the Technology department users to receive email notifications when a ticket gets assigned to them.

I guess another question is should we be submitting tickets like this? Or should we be changing the submitted by to the person calling into our help desk?

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@MLocke 773d4ae eacs The person submitting it will automatically be added as a follower and receive those notifications if she is the only one who will be a follower since the technology people may or may not be the agent on that ticket. I would suggest turning off the “as follower” notifications. 

Additionally, if it is just your one Help Desk person, you can set a rule that will remove her as a follower each time she creates a ticket. However, that would remove her as a follower on all tickets upon creation, regardless of whether the ticket is for her. 

I hope this helps 😄

Badge +1

@Kathryn Carter That doesn’t seem to have helped. I did create a toggle for us on tickets to atomically remove us as followers using a rule. But I am still getting email notifications when I turn off all the “As follower” notifications.

Badge +1

This morning I turned off the “As Owner” notifications and that seemed to do it. Is it expected that the submitter is also an “As Owner”? I would think it would be who the submitter opened the ticket on behalf of.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@MLocke 773d4ae eacs I can see how that would turn off those notifications for the submitter. This is interesting. I would suggest coming to our Open Office Hours on Thursday as well to talk this through. Here is the link to register! 

Badge +1

Thanks! I have signed up.