Question

Rules Engine - Ticketing rules. Can we use attributes from a parent ticket to subtickets

• 15 September 2022
  • 10 replies

Badge +2

Currently, you can generate a rule that allows you map the requestor by the parent requestor, parent agent, or even parent custom field. Is there a way for us to use parent ticket attributes for existing subtickets? Like Set Issue → SetParentIssue, Set requested for → ForParentRequestor, etc etc, 

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@jeri.flores 

I want to make sure I fully understand your question. 

You are wanting to set the issue of the subticket the same as the parent ticket?

Badge +2

Not just the issue, mainly automatically setting the requestor for, subject name, location, etc etc. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@jeri.flores Can you provide an example or workflow for this?

Subtickets are created by ticket templates. Within the ticket templates, you can set the subject name and location. Then when applying the subtickets via the rules engine - you have the ability to set the requestor for each subtickets the same as the parent requestor. 

Badge

Hello! I found this thread by attempting to achieve setting the issue on the sub ticket the same as the parent ticket. Is this possible?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@bspencer That you for replying, what is your use case here? Trying to fully understand what you are wanting to achieve. If you can provide screenshots, it will best help me recreate what you are trying to do. 😄

Badge

Hey @Kathryn Carter !

Thanks for reaching out! Right now we have a rule for when someone enters in a new employee ticket, 4 additional sub tickets are created. They are New ID badge, Navigate (Security app) access, Sapphire Access, and new device. Having the main description from the ticket filtered to all of the sub tickets would make it so our technicians would not have to keep clicking back to the parent ticket to see who the employee is and what not. I have attached a screenshot of what one of our sub tickets looks like.

Also, not sure if this is possible yet but is there a way to create custom roles so we could change the visibility of an issue type to only allow certain people to enter in those tickets?

Thanks for any information you can provide!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@bspencer I was just looking into the back end of your site and currently, at this time, you are not able to do that, since it is a ticket template. HOWEVER, that is a WONDERFUL idea! There is already an idea out there for it. Please consider upvoting and commenting: 

Looking into the custom roles with visibly of issues, I know that can change between faculty and staff but not sure about agents. Have you looked into making teams? This might give your team who handles the onboarding tickets separate from the other agents. Here is the teams guide: 

Badge

@Kathryn Carter : Hey! Thanks for the info. I did upvote the idea for showing custom field data from parent tickets to child tickets. For the visibility issue, we have Teams set up so say someone needs a new ID badge, that ticket would go straight to our security team where either person in that specific team can take ownership of the ticket. However, for issue visibility, you cannot select a specific team as being able to submit a ticket. Below is a screenshot of adjusting visibility of issue types.

Brandon Spencer

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@bspencer Thank you for providing me with some more context! Here is how I would set it up if I was creating this. I would create a “new badge needed” issue under personal or something like that. Once that is created, have the required fields needed through a custom field (basically whatever info you need). Then in rules, when the ticket is created with that specific issue type, it automatically is assigned to your security team & either assign it to someone or assign to most available tech. 

For example here, I created the issue type (not able to post) and then I can assign the ticket to the team (Display team). 

I hope this helps 😄

Badge

Hey @Kathryn Carter!

Thank you for having me on the zoom call yesterday. The information/question from the other participants was very helpful! I was trying to figure out getting the description from the parent ticket onto my sub tickets based on what Bclark sent in the chat yesterday but it appears that “Issue Description” is not something that can be mapped (Or I might not be looking in the correct place). I found this other forum post and it is linked below. Thanks again for including me and Nick!

Brandon Spencer