Question

Rules for Users with an Unassigned Location

• 29 February 2024
  • 9 replies

We have several users that are consultants (SRO, Contractors, etc) and have no assigned location.  How can we get those users with Unassigned Location to be prompted to select their location?

We tried creating a custom field that uses the IIQ location field then applied that to all tickets with the filter of unassigned location.  The user is prompted if they are Unassigned Location but when the ticket goes the rules the location is still Unassigned.  What is the proper way to do this?

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@amac Thank you for submitting your question to our community! 😄

I think I am getting lost in this workflow. To clarify, the users do not have an assigned location. The user needs to select their location on a custom field on a ticket? 

We need a way to get location based rule to work for a user with an unassigned location.  I was trying to do it with a custom field for all tickets filtered by Unassigned Location, but it still has Unassigned Location even after choosing a location from the custom field.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Depending on how many locations you have in your district will determine if this is a realistic approach or not, but you could create a ticket rule for each location for that scenario. Condition: if custom location field  = {location name here} in addition to all of your other conditions, then the first action on the ticket rule could be to “set location” to match. Then have it proceed to your other rules.

I’d never do this for our district because we have 200-ish locations and that’s a lot of room for error and a lot of setup work, but I know of smaller districts of < 10 schools that this would work for.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@jclark That is a great suggestion for a smaller district. @amac How many schools are you in charge of? 

We have 26 sites (20 schools and 6 District Office buildings).

Maybe I don’t understand the purpose of the field type: IIQ Location.  If I make a custom field question that uses the field type: IIQ Location then have a custom field that applies to only tickets with out a location, why doesn’t the IIQ Location field question change the location of the ticket?  

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

The custom fields are there for data collection - for instance, we have central office employees that specifically support multiple schools for ECE services, so a custom location field with the ability to add multiple instances could be used if you need to do that same thing for say 10 separate locations in lieu of submitting 10 separate tickets. This is especially true if the agent is also the requestor, there may not be a need for someone at the school to see a ticket listed for their location, but for reporting/data purposes it needs to be collected by central office.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

That is an excellent point @jclark. How else can we help @amac?

I am able to create a rule that is based on the location being Unknown and the custom location question that then assigns the ticket to the the building IT person.

I would really like the custom location field to actually change the location then the rest of the rules would be applied.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@amac Since we aren’t able to do that yet, this would be an enhancement request. You can head here to submit that request: https://community.incidentiq.com/ideas