Question

Ticket Creation Rule seems to be ignoring who the agent is?

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Possible bug? Maybe (hopefully) operator error? I was trying to create a rule today to act on tickets submitted by 2 specific Agents. I was testing and created a rule under Ticket Creation where the only filter was Agent is bclark. I would then enable this rule and move it to the top of the "Tickets When Created" list.

What I found was after creating a ticket the rule was not triggered. The log just says it doesn't match the filter. The only thing I can think is that when I create the ticket it's not recognizing me as the Agent. 

I tried a couple other routes. For example, was the source the app or mobile. This was ignored too (in this case the app WILL be the actual source). I also tried adding a custom field to my profile and that wasn't an option for filtering. Neither is who submitted the actual ticket.

Interestingly, other ticket created rules I have are working fine, ie if it has this issue give it to that agent.

Any ideas?

Edit to add I also tried a “When ticket is updated rule” and while that technically works, it’s not consider “updated” on initial creation.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hey @bclark!

Just tested this out and got it to work by using the filter “requestor.” Let me know if this works for you.

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

My understanding is the requestor is who the ticket is “for”. Not the agent who submit’s the ticket. I was trying to do a rule based on the actual agent who submits the ticket. Scenario is at device collection we have some hardware techs who will be inspecting Macs on the fly and if they find something that needs repair creating the ticket right there. I wanted those routed differently vs our regular ticket routing rules. I found a workaround that I mentioned in another thread about custom fields.

This post I made awhile back mentions a conversation I had with support at the time about “ticket creator”. Which I guess I need to do a feature request to expose. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@bclark I think I understand your workflow here. I would make a feature request to be able to make this a standard. 😄 I believe you have the link to Idea Exchange, but if not:  https://community.incidentiq.com/ideas

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

It’s quite literally on my list of things I need to write up 🙃 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I am awaiting your submission! @bclark 💡

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@bclark 

“My understanding is the requestor is who the ticket is “for”. Not the agent who submit’s the ticket.”

Wanted to follow up on this comment ^^

Yes, that is correct. But our rules engine filter “requestor” is looking the the person who actually submitted the ticket. It is not looking at the “on behalf of” user of that ticket. Definitely add this to our idea exchange to add the filter “on behalf of” to our rule engine filters. 😊

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

@bclark

“Definitely add this to our idea exchange to add the filter “on behalf of” to our rule engine filters. 😊

The creator, who “submitted it” and who it’s “for”. Since Agents create tickets for teachers who call on behalf of students every day. It’s on my list.