Solved

Can I create a custom user role?

• 26 January 2022
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Am I able to create a custom user role within Incident IQ?

icon

Best answer by Hannah Bailey 28 January 2022, 18:26

View original

12 replies

Badge +8

Currently, there is not a way to create custom user roles. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Instructor_Ivan_Quigley  is correct. Right now there is not way to create custom user roles. This is an enhancement that our development team is currently working on. 

A workaround option is to create a custom permission policy and applying it to the selected user(s). This will give them the permissions they need without applying it out to other users with the same role in the system.

Here is the help guide for creating permission polices. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

We looked at this as well. Our use case was ultimately wanting to assign ticket templates to non-agent users who have to put in rep. Looked at making them Agents with custom permissions but found just by being an agent they were able to view more in the system than we were comfortable with. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

@bclark we have definitely heard this before. This would be a great suggestion for Idea Exchange! https://community.incidentiq.com/ideas

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

@Jessica Adkins just added. Thanks.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

@Instructor_Ivan_Quigley  is correct. Right now there is not way to create custom user roles. This is an enhancement that our development team is currently working on. 

A workaround option is to create a custom permission policy and applying it to the selected user(s). This will give them the permissions they need without applying it out to other users with the same role in the system.

Here is the help guide for creating permission polices. 

This has or was on your radar and roadmap from 2019. This was listed as an Idea years ago and it keeps getting strung along when a lot of us keep asking for it.   The workaround doesn't really work for us…we need the additional roles. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

I looked at some of that but we basically had to disregard it for our uses, just by making someone an agent and then restricting permissions still changed someone to much from being a staff role. Hopefully that enhancement is sooner than later.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

@bclark  If they ever get around to it… We just finished onboarding with them and we are already seeing the issues everyone else has been requesting to get fixed and all I’m seeing is crickets chirping.  

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Would love a feature to create more admin roles that I can dynamically assign based on Users AD Title.

Badge +1

Just checking in on this suggestion. This was something that was discussed when we onboarded with Incident IQ and would like to see implemented. We would like to assign specific ticket types to certain roles in the college (like new software purchase should be submitted by a supervisor or dean).

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

At yesterday’s office hours it sounded like quick tickets might work for this (I can’t test them yet cause of a different bug) but it sounded like for ticket types you don’t want everyone to have access to, you could give specific groups of people access to it. So if most of your staff don’t have access to request software you could provide a quick ticket to someone and that group would have it. @Kathryn Carter  or @Hannah Bailey  am I remembering that right? 

Currently to give an individual access to one (and just that individual) the best way I know is via custom fields and then scoping the quick ticket to users with that field.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@bclark You are correct; this should be the case. You will be able to share those quick tickets with those users who you need to.

Additionally, the permissions overhaul will help solve this as well. @ericdoherty Don’t worry, it will be here very soon. In the meantime, try quick tickets as @bclark suggested. 

Here is the quick ticket guide to get you started: