Question

Manually attach student to teacher

Userlevel 2
Badge

We are looking to create rooms as a user that assets can be checked out to(things that wont move such as document cameras, printers, smartboards). The only issue we are running into is we would like to have the teachers who are associated with that room to be able to see the information about those assets. My original thought was creating the room as a student at the site, but the teacher role(faculty) doesn't have the ability to view users. So are we able to manually link a student to a teacher, or would I need to make all teachers agents with “very” limited rights?

10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

You should be able to assign those assets to rooms, and change their status to in service (or something else,) without attaching it to someone’s name.

Teacher’s rooms can be added to their profiles to see those assets, but so long as they put the correct room in the location fields when creating a ticket it’ll show those assets as options to associate with the ticket and pick issues from.

Userlevel 2
Badge

So say   if  asset is set to room 105 and that teacher is set to room 105 then it will show that as an asset that can be ticketed/referenced ?

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

I think I lead you astray. I swear I've seen it do that in the past but I'm not seeing it right now. When I go to pick the location after clicking on new ticket it's not letting me set a room until AFTER the point of attaching assets. I'm still trying to find where I saw this.

But if on the asset page you switch the drop down to search by room you can type in 105. But it does find all the 105's in your district. Luckily it shows school names there too.

Userlevel 2
Badge

What you are saying sounds familiar. I think I did the rooms the way I did because they were using a system called follett/destiny and that’s how it was in there. We are having to rethink how we do things.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I just tried it out by assigning a printer to room 105 at a site and setting a user to 105 at that site and the printer doesnt show up in the users asset list

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@DRumpf 570102a apsb Are you using MyClasses for your teachers? This will allow them to see the student devices if you are integrated with your SIS.

You can also have those teachers favorite the assets that will be in their room so they can have them on their dashboard. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

This wouldnt be related to the my classes however the classes arent being synced over. I updated the plugin in powerschool. Courses are being synced. I assume this is because our classes don’t “start” until August 10.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@DRumpf 570102a apsb That might be part of the issue. 😄 Are they able to see assets today? 

Userlevel 2
Badge

The classes did show up today. As for the other thing, I broke them off of the idea as I cant automate a specific policy for one site 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Found the asset had to be favorited in my assets to show in the list for tickets