Question

Generate New Asset Tag during asset import

• 4 December 2023
  • 7 replies

If I create a single Asset I can choose to “Generate New Asset Tag” and it will create a random number, which I prefer.  But if I bulk import new assets I can only get it to choose the serial number as the Asset Tag.

Is there a way to have it Random generate a Asset Tag that is not the Serial Number during a bulk import?

I have searched and can not find anything on this

7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

If you like the random numbers, I suggest importing the assets via CSV.  There, you can have a random number generator create the Assest Tags if you want. You just have to put the numbers in the Asset tag cell.  Before you import it, it will tell you if you have any numbers that match. 

ok, that was my worry about having duplicate Asset #’s.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@RLuxton 840e5d8 bps101 Thank you for submitting your question to our community! 😄

@BHenker This is a great idea for a workaround! Is this what you ended up going with? How did it go? 

Since we are fairly new to IIQ I have mostly imported assets that already have an asset number that was generated sequentially in the old system.  The first few new imports used the Serial number at creation and I haven’t done any since.  I will probably come up with my own system for now that I will have to manage myself. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

What we tend to do is we need to do a new asset tag to have the first 4 numbers be the year, and then the 3 numbers be the next one. 

Example: We are at 2324536.  The next time we get something new that needs and asset tag, we would put it as 2324537 (2324 is the school year that we got it, and 537 is the next number that is open).  That helps a lot when we do inventory and see how old a device is. (It makes it easy when importing numbers using the Excel form as you can go right down the Columb and not have to type it in every time)

yes, I was thinking a year/month/day/# format so it’s easier to manage and wouldn’t have to deal with editing the file if there are duplicates.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I like the collaboration and discussion here @BHenker and @RLuxton 840e5d8 bps101

The idea of adding an indicator to the asset tag for dates is what my district did as well. 😄