Question

How to assign multiple assets to a single ticket?

• 21 February 2024
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2

So I have a ticket requesting two assets which are laptops. The problem is that I don’t see a way to add more than 1 asset. Once I assign one laptop it does not allow me a way to simply add another one. I hope this something simple I am missing because it’s hard to understand why we can only assign a single item when it seems simple enough to just let us repeat the process. 

I can go to the user and manually assign multiple assets, but it’s not efficient. 

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Forgive me if I’m not following 100% but it seems like you’re asking two different things?

Currently, you can’t attach multiple assets to a single ticket. There’s a clear need for it though - the community has spoken! I’d vote on this idea:

The second thing it seems like you’re referring to is assigning multiple assets to a single person - which can definitely be done. Like you mentioned, you can assign one at a time from the user page, or you can assign one at a time from the Check-In/Out function under the Assets section in the left nav.

What I like to do, is build myself a custom view of assets, and then filter to the one I want to see.

From there you can select all > Set Info > Owner and assign them all to a single person at once, if that’s what you’re attempting to do.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@NEngland 743eb7a jeffersonrise Thank you for submitting your question to our community! 😄

Looks like @jclark was just ahead of me by linking the idea and giving the solution for you! Thanks @jclark 

Userlevel 2

Forgive me if I’m not following 100% but it seems like you’re asking two different things?

Currently, you can’t attach multiple assets to a single ticket. There’s a clear need for it though - the community has spoken! I’d vote on this idea:

The second thing it seems like you’re referring to is assigning multiple assets to a single person - which can definitely be done. Like you mentioned, you can assign one at a time from the user page, or you can assign one at a time from the Check-In/Out function under the Assets section in the left nav.

What I like to do, is build myself a custom view of assets, and then filter to the one I want to see.

From there you can select all > Set Info > Owner and assign them all to a single person at once, if that’s what you’re attempting to do.

I actually haven’t explored the check in / check out, but it seem like it will be useful and it’s definitely faster than going to the user profile or asset details page.

I like what you do with the custom view and might use this in the future. Most of the time we won’t be assigning multiple assets at once in this way. If it’s multiple assets then it would often be a computer cart with 30 or so devices

I created custom view just now which sorts assets checked out, descending by owners last name, first name. Looks like I need to create some more custom views like this based on the asset type which really helps to see any set of devices and who might have them at any given point.

Would you happen to know if there is a way to quickly link assets together? All of our chromebooks carts are in the google admin console where each cart name is a organizational unit with a format like “ABC” and inside this cart would be 30 chromebooks named CB_ABC1, CB_ABC2 and so on. When we import this into IIQ it brings in all the individual chromebooks without the keeping each OU grouped together.

I am not seeing a way to do this using spreadsheet import. I have figured out a way, but it’s slow and tedious. I have to create the cart as an asset, let’s call it cart ABC and then I need to go to asset explorer & filter for CB_ABC, select all, save, back to asset screen, select all, link to asset, find the cart and select it. It seems to only work this specific way. If I try to start with the cart and link to the chromebooks it would only allow to select a single asset at a time. It’s not a huge deal, but I’m surprised when I select the cart first and then click link asset and type in CB_ABC which then reveals all 30 chromebooks, but it doesn’t allow you to simply select them all from the thumnail screen. Only a single device can be selected on this sreen which I can’t understand. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@NEngland 743eb7a jeffersonrise Here is a thread that is an idea just for computer carts: 

Additionally, here is a thread about how some of our districts use cart based devices: https://community.incidentiq.com/assets%2D33/how%2Dbest%2Dto%2Dhandle%2Dcart%2Dbased%2Ddevices%2D1506

Userlevel 2

@NEngland 743eb7a jeffersonrise Here is a thread that is an idea just for computer carts: 

Additionally, here is a thread about how some of our districts use cart based devices: https://community.incidentiq.com/assets%2D33/how%2Dbest%2Dto%2Dhandle%2Dcart%2Dbased%2Ddevices%2D1506

Perhaps I’m missing something on that thread, but I only see a problem mentioned a year ago without a solution yet. What they described is not an issue for me. The second thread doesn’t seem to be relevant to my issue either. I don’t care if admin console doesn’t match what I shuffle around in incident IQ as we use the admin console strictly for applying policies to the device.

My issue is all the time that it takes to do something which should be very quick. Being a computer cart isn’t really revelant because the issue is that it takes forever to link any assets and the strange way it’s done. 

Is there a way I am missing which can allow assets to be linked via spreadsheet import which isn’t ideal, but would still most likely be quicker. A really simple solution would be making the interface better.

It feels so weird to search on the asset explorer and see all of the assets in the group you are looking for, but then no way to just select them all. For example I have 30 chromebooks named CB_XAA1 through CB_XAA30 and in asset explorer I can type CB_XAA which pulls up in a thumbnail type view all 30 devices, but then restrict us from selecting what we want and only allows 1 selection. We don’t even need to have something fancier like being able to individually select them. If there was just a box called “select all” that we could check it makes things so much easier. It takes forever having to go to asset explorer and filter the specific assets you want to link when we have a search bar that will show them much quicker. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I actually haven’t explored the check in / check out, but it seem like it will be useful and it’s definitely faster than going to the user profile or asset details page.

I like what you do with the custom view and might use this in the future. Most of the time we won’t be assigning multiple assets at once in this way. If it’s multiple assets then it would often be a computer cart with 30 or so devices

I created custom view just now which sorts assets checked out, descending by owners last name, first name. Looks like I need to create some more custom views like this based on the asset type which really helps to see any set of devices and who might have them at any given point.

Would you happen to know if there is a way to quickly link assets together? All of our chromebooks carts are in the google admin console where each cart name is a organizational unit with a format like “ABC” and inside this cart would be 30 chromebooks named CB_ABC1, CB_ABC2 and so on. When we import this into IIQ it brings in all the individual chromebooks without the keeping each OU grouped together.

I am not seeing a way to do this using spreadsheet import. I have figured out a way, but it’s slow and tedious. I have to create the cart as an asset, let’s call it cart ABC and then I need to go to asset explorer & filter for CB_ABC, select all, save, back to asset screen, select all, link to asset, find the cart and select it. It seems to only work this specific way. If I try to start with the cart and link to the chromebooks it would only allow to select a single asset at a time. It’s not a huge deal, but I’m surprised when I select the cart first and then click link asset and type in CB_ABC which then reveals all 30 chromebooks, but it doesn’t allow you to simply select them all from the thumnail screen. Only a single device can be selected on this sreen which I can’t understand. 

Glad I could give you some ideas!

For carts - using sub-OU’s in Google is a smart way to do that, but iiQ’s integration unfortunately only lets you map OU’s to locations.

You could potentially create a custom asset field for carts, and manually import/update them on the assets. That would make the field filterable in a custom view.

Userlevel 2

Glad I could give you some ideas!

For carts - using sub-OU’s in Google is a smart way to do that, but iiQ’s integration unfortunately only lets you map OU’s to locations.

You could potentially create a custom asset field for carts, and manually import/update them on the assets. That would make the field filterable in a custom view.

Thanks, I will experiment with that last recommendation.

Thanks for the great feedback once again, Nick!