Solved

Custom Names: Issue Category vs Issue Type vs Issue

• 7 August 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello,

In Custom Names can someone tell me what the difference is between Issue Category, Issue Type and Issue?

Thank you

icon

Best answer by Hannah Bailey 8 August 2023, 14:30

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

The definitions I found in the guide, don’t seem to be correct:

• Ticket Category: Change the name of a ticket wizard category (e.g., Devices / Hardware, Provisioning, Other Requests, etc.)
  • Model: Change the name of a specific device model (e.g., Chromebook 11 3189, HP Chromebook 11 G5 EE, Dell Chrome 11 3189, etc.).
  • Model Category: Change the name of a category of models (e.g., Laptops, Chromebooks, Computers, etc.).
  • Issue Category: Change the names of the Devices/Assets, Software/Online System, and Network/Wifi ticket categories.   
  • Issue Type: Change the name of a broad category a specific issue falls under (e.g., Hardware Damage, Power, Sound, etc.)
  • Issue: Change the name of a specific issue (i.e., Cracked Housing, Sound is distorted, Can’t login, etc.).

For example: Issue Category: Change the names of the Devices/Assets, Software/Online System, and Network/Wifi ticket categories.  This seems to be accomplished in the Ticket Wizard category.

Most importantly to me I don’t understand the difference between Issue Type and Issue.  From what I can tell they seem to refer to the same thing, with the difference that Issue includes a Category as well as the Issue Type, and seems to take precedence over Issue Type.  If someone could explain what the difference is I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Robert Cebula 

This is a great question and it is confusing. 

Issue Type: Renames all issues. (Example: Issue not listed renames it everywhere it appears in tickets in all issue categories.)

Issue: Selective renaming of issues under a specific issue category (Example: Issue not listed ONLY under a issue category Desktops > Power issues category.)

Thank you for bring to our attention that our documentation needs to be updated 😁 We will work on getting that updated. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks for the clarification!