Solved

Procedural Question for other School District Tech Departments - Where are my techs?

• 5 April 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

We have over 30 buildings in over a 100 sq miles in our district. We have 6 Field Techs that are dispatched out to the buildings to pick up or drop off equipment at those locations. They also fix equipment on site, if need be. The district is split up into zones (geographically) so the field techs are not driving all over the place. But there are times that we do not know where the techs are. Yes, we can call or send a MS Teams Message, but that is not always the quickest. This is not just to track the employees (but that is helpful) it is also the quickest way to find someone that would be closest to a building in case of a pressing matter. 

So what apps, devices, or system does anyone use to track employees? GPS? Cameras in buildings with Facial Recognition software? Time clocks? What is being used out there and how is it useful in your district? What are the pros and cons that you see on a daily basis, does it integrate with IIQ?

Our field techs have district issued cell phones, but they drive their own cars. Just some information that you might need.

Thank you.

icon

Best answer by TAnders 5 April 2022, 22:15

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

We use Simple In/Out as a digital “Hey where are you” board. Techs can update it directly from either the native app or via our Slack integration. This does rely on the techs updating it as to where they are, but it is better than a whiteboard in the office if something changes. Admins at the main office do have the ability to update status’ for techs as well in case someone is out or gets re-routed somewhere with poor service.

It is super cheap (like $30/year or something) and very simple to use. You can have a public “Board” link that you can display on a TV or kiosk around the office. We don’t do any sort of actual physical GPS tracking or anything.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Thank you, I will look into this. Much appreciated.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

So we have been using this for about 2 months now, we love it. Thank you for taking the time and pointing us in this direction. It works fantastic.

Much appreciated.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

@Cozmo03 I’m glad the community members were able to help you out!