Solved

Create an issue category that does not require asset selection?

• 21 April 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

We have an issue category (“Loaner Pool”) that we use to issue spare equipment. For example, a student walks in and needs a spare charger for the next period… we create a ticket for a model (e.g. “Apple USB-C Laptop Charger”) without specifying a particular asset and issue a spare from our pool.

This lets us track who has which loaner device, while also making it easy to not create a history of tickets that are, basically, irrelevant to, say, their laptop (there was nothing wrong with it: the problem was with the student forgetting their charger).

To close these tickets, we have to both return the asset (of course) _and_ ignore the requirement to select an asset.

I can see in Site Options where I could turn off “Require Assets to be Confirmed” for _all_ tickets. But that seems… *bad*. I just want to turn it off for those tickets in the Loaner Pool category.

Ideas? 

icon

Best answer by Kathryn Carter 25 April 2023, 15:33

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@sbattis Thank you for submitting your question! 

Have you considered putting that charger under a device category? It will not require you to select a specific asset but to put that within that folder for you to select. 

Here is the guide for creating those custom names and categories: 

I hope this helps 😄

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

@Kathryn Carter Nice! That totally works. We had been doing that instinctively with our iPads, but not with the AC Adapters, and hadn’t tracked that we had to select an asset type for the ac adapters and _not_ the iPads. And if we add the Asset Type column to our list view, we can still see what was checked out!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@sbattis I am so glad this will work for you! YAY! 😄

Thank you as well for giving your use case for this! It totally helps us understand and give you the best solution. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Ah dang it! Turns out that when refreshed, the list no longer shows the asset model when we assign the ticket to the device category. Still fiddling.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Ended up having to create additional device categories. Kinda annoying. But it works.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@sbattis I am glad you got it up and working! 😄